Fortunately, the National Yogurt Association (NYA) established its own criteria for live and active culture yogurt with its Live & Active Culture seal program. Look for the National Yogurt Association's (NYA) Live & Active Cultures seal to ensure that the yogurt you buy contains a significant amount of live and active cultures.
All fermented milk products should be considered functional foods. Why? Because Fermented milk offers so much more than just bacteria: minerals, vitamins, protein, amino acids, L-carnitine, fats, CLA, antimicrobial agents, and much more! A recent study demonstrated the ability of fermented milk to kill H. pylori infections when bacteria alone could not. Another study monitored two groups of people for allergy symptoms. The group that consumed yogurt on a daily basis suffered far less allergies than a control group. In addition, the complex microflora found in kefir have demonstrated a keen ability to stimulate our immune systems, ward of infections from bacteria such as salmonella, and in some cases, even fight cancer.
For kids and especially young girls going through the rapid growth spurts of puberty, getting calcium from dairy products, such as yogurt, may be better for building bone than taking a calcium supplement, suggests a study published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.
I have already posted the recipe for Home-made yogurt in my previous posts. Also pls check out the latest flavoured & sweetened yogurt recipe in my cooking blog.
There are a plenty of yogurt recipes available and i have just made a few at home and im sure everyone knows the recipe for most of the things. Also pls look out for detailed recipes made out of yogurt in my cooking blog which will be available very soon.
Indian Yogurt Recipes:
- Yogurt-rice /Thayir satham(tamil)
- Thayir Pachadi ( vegetables in yogurt)
- Dahi-Batata-Puri (Puri is a flat bread made out of wheat which is deep-fried in hot oil, so that it becomes puffy) Puri is stuffed with Batata curry(potato curry) and topped with grated carrots, yogurt, and sev-(another indian snack made out of gram flour.)
- Yogurt mixed with sweetned vermicilli and topped with fruits
- Mor-Kuzhambu - another tamilnadu dish.
- Dahi vada or Thayir vadai
- Simply top the home-made greek styled yogurt with unrefined cane sugar!